Travelling With Your Pet

Travelling to the EU or Northern Ireland


On January 2021 the rules for taking your cat and dog abroad changed. The pet passport is no longer valid, this has now been changed to an Animal health Certificate.


Animal Health Certificate


Pets will now require an Animal Health Certificate for each journey they need to take to Europe or Northern Ireland. Multiple pets can be added to one certificate. This must be completed no more than 10 days before the date of your travel. You will need to wait 21 days after any primary vaccinations before you travel. Please contact the practice as early as possible to book in an appointment as the appointments fill up fast and are very limited.


Rabies Vaccine


If your pet hasn’t travelled abroad before or if their rabies vaccine is out of date you will need to see one of the team at least 21 days before you travel as you cannot travel for 21 days after the vaccine. Your pet will need to have a microchip and rabies vaccination.  The rabies vaccination is valid for 3 years.


Tapeworm treatment


Your pet will require tapeworm treatment if you are travelling to the following countries:

o Ireland

o Northern Ireland

o Malta

o Norway

o Finland

Tapeworm treatment must be administered between 24 hour and five days prior to arrival depending on the individual requirements for each country. If you have travelled to any other European countries you will require a tapeworm treatment between 24 hour and five days prior to arrival back in the UK.


We will where possible complete the Animal Health Certificate and tapeworm treatment in the one consultation.


Please plan well in advance and book an appointment at least 4 weeks in advance. We will not be able to fit in appointments at short notice.